Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It Was Just A Normal Life. Just A Normal Year. Just A Normal Month. Just A Normal Day.....

I walked across the narrow pathway leading to the broken house that I could no longer call home, but just a building which I had sentimental feelings for. Tears rolled down my cheeks, as I looked up at a window that had been mine. The monster had destroyed everything......everything in my life, I thought, as I caressed my rough skin.


It was a normal day, a boring one, you might say. But I was not feeling particularly bored as I played my favorite game - drawing. You could even say that I had drew too much for my own good!

It was a sunny day, and the sun shone warm rays upon my shoulders. I smiled, enjoying the warmth, while sketching a beautiful picture of the school's garden. It was after school. Most of the children had gone home to revise their homework. But not me. I always had good grades, no matter how little or how much I studied. My mother was proud of me, and called me a child prodigy.
I picked up my pencils, then carefully holding up my sketch, I walked briskly back home.

"Amelia!" I turned in surprise. My mother usually left me in my art room, drawing for the whole day. "Your friends want to come in." I peeked out of the window, gently parting the curtains to see who had come. They were my life-long enemies, Josh and Katya. They seemed to plague my scenery just as I found it, ruining my drawings by spilling ink on it.

"Hey Josh! Katya!" Their heads turned in my direction sharply. Waving awkardly, they yelled back in greeting. "What are you two doing here?" I saw Katya's mouth moving, and guessed that she was muttering to Josh. "Er, we wanted to see how you were doing", Josh said, trying to keep a straight face. I ran downstairs and opened the door slightly.

"Are you sure, Josh?" He tried to smile sincerely, but only managed a grimace. With a grim smile, I slammed the door closed again. My mother walked out of the kitchen casually,"holding her hand to her heart. Whoa, whoa. Amelia, don't give me a heart attack. What happened?" I grimaced myself and peeked out of the curtains sneakily while answering.

"Mom, these two people are my worst enemies! I can't let them in!" She shook her head in disapproval. "Am, you shouldn't just let them stay outside, should you?" I grinded my teeth. What my mother said was always final.

I angrily threw the door open - to find nobody outside. Sighing in relief, I closed the door again. "Mom, they're gone." Almost managing a smile, I walked back up the stairs, indulging in my pleasure of drawing.

A few hours later, I began to feel thirsty and went down the stairs, yelling at the same time. I was in for a great shock. Smoke seemed to strangle my lungs, the sight seemed to burn my eyes itself. There was a fire in my house.

But where was my mother, I thought desperately while hopping over a bunch of fiery books. A blackened shape lay in the kitchen, limp and burning still, with flames. The wooden magnet on the fridge, which was on fire too, dropped on my neck, and I yelled in agony.

Who did this, was my first thought while fighting with the fire with the fire extinguisher. The smoke and fire seemed to subside, then stop. Sighing with relief, not for the first time today, I trudged my miserable way to the police station, seeming like the dead corpse in the kitchen.

Ten years later...... (Amelia is twenty-four)

After the fire, my parents were gone. My father, in an accident. My mother, in a fire. The fact that I could even subdue the fire was a miracle. But what about the fact that I was now the top lawyer in my country?

I did my parents and myself proud. I know I did, and I wonder if they are looking down from heaven at me....

No comments: